Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Poems for Gorillaz

Well, I feel like I'm just writing for myself, and maybe I am!  But never mind, because I am a guerilla and guerilla poetry in Devonport will happen with one or a hundred guerillas.

What I have mainly learnt in life is that if you don't do it, no one else will.  And if you do do it, perhaps no one else will, but at least you will have done it!

Hence, at 27 I went travelling around the world on my own. No one else I knew was doing it. There wasn't anyone else interested in coming with me - not even my long-term boyfriend at the time.  So I went.  I had a blast.  It changed my life. As a result of just doing it, I ended up living in not just a different continent but a different hemisphere, and subjecting myself to adventures I would never have thought would come my way.  Life may not always be coming up roses, but I relish the learning from every bump in the road I've ended up on.

Long story short.... due to an apparent general malaise on the part of local poets, or perhaps a lack of local poets, I have been researching existing poems that have resonance to places in Devonport, which will be displayed along with some of my own work.  Poets who have written in and around the area were my first port of call, but some of my own personal favourites will also appear.

If you're out there, poets, I'd love to receive your work to display in our unique and rather fabulous city village.

No comments:

Post a Comment